Monday 30 January 2017

Shirt Dress with Butterick Retro

Shirt Dress B5920

B5920 was calling my name again ... it appears that I hadn't finished with it, despite having made it twice before.

Shirt Dress B5920


My first make was exactly to pattern version A. I never wore this dress! The second involved a few alterations to convert it to a maxi with a full length placket, which I wear regularly.

For this latest make I kept the skirt back alteration I made for the maxi version - I much prefer how this falls and is in keeping with the front gathers.

Shirt Dress B5920 Shirt Dress B5920

I changed up the pockets this time, and made them square at the bottom rather than rounded, for a more modern shirt look.  I am so in love with the neckline and notches I had to keep the notches on the pocket.

Shirt Dress B5920

This skirt pattern length I cut at 25" and turned up a hem of 1.5". It sits perfectly just above my knee.

The fabric is 100% cotton, 'flocked' is what was on the label, from The Fabric Store during their recent VIP 40% sale. And yes, I bought and sewed this fabric all in the same month!  The dress is unlined and will require a slip to be worn underneath.

Not a lot more to say so will just leave you with some photos.

Shirt Dress B5920 Shirt Dress B5920
Shirt Dress B5920 Shirt Dress B5920

Go on, you know you wanna make one now .... :-)

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, very pretty. It has a really nice neckline!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neckline on this dress is my favourite. I've been thinking about how I might convert it to a jacket.

      Delete
  2. I do like the neckline and the interesting looking pockets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pockets are very cute with the same cut-out as the neckline, and so very easy to sew.

      Delete
  3. I like this version the most. That neckline is stunning and I was surprised this was a retro pattern, your version is so modern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really it's just a couple of changes. 1. to the back skirt piece and 2. extending the packet in the front. I'm super happy with this one - I've been thinking I might shorten the maxi version so it gets a bit more wear.

      Delete
  4. Great summer dress. I bought this pattern after seeing your first make. Haven't made it up but am leaning towards a mash up of the top half with a sheath skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think that would be a great look as well.

      Delete